The Etruscan Press Educational Outreach Program brings acclaimed authors to work with under-served students in area high schools, increasing the literacy of the students and offering a general appreciation for the literary arts.
Etruscan Press Outreach was developed to:
- Expand cultural and literary awareness of students in Northeast Ohio and Pennsylvania
- Demonstrate a love of literature to young people
- Promote intercultural acceptance and understanding
- Prepare under-served students for success in college
- Promote literacy and love of reading
“I feel I gained leadership qualities and how to keep pushing myself to achieve goals no matter what. I would like more writers to visit.” – K.L., 9th grader
Our Educational Outreach Program serves communities surrounding the two geographical hubs for Etruscan Press: Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio and Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. For information on participating in our outreach program or about our outreach books (introduced below), please contact us.
“I gained courage in reading my story to the audience and I enjoyed meeting a real writer.” – James T., 10th grader
- Remica Bingham-Risher’s What We Ask of Flesh, Lynn Lurie’s Quick Kills, Aaron Poochigian’s Mr. Either/Or, Tim Seibles’s One Turn Around the Sun and Myrna Stone’s Luz Bones were given to students at Austintown Fitch High School, Chaney High School, Choffin Career & Technical Center, East High School, Youngstown Early College and the Youngstown State University Incarcerated Student Program in Youngstown, OH. Along with Etruscan Executive Director Philip Brady, authors visited with the students in the Youngstown classrooms.
- Little Free Libraries were installed in Youngstown, OH at the Fairgreen Neighborhood Garden and Park Vista Senior Living Community to promote literacy and the love of reading through free book sharing.
“I was a little nervous to go up and read my story. I gained self-confidence and enjoyed reading my story to all the people in my class.” –Takayla A., 9th grader
Outreach books include:
- Crave: Sojourn of a Hungry Soul
- Luz Bones
- Mr. Either/ Or
- One Turn Around the Sun
- Poems and Their Making: A Conversation
- Quick Kills
- Synergos: Selected Poems
- What We Ask of Flesh